About Travel to Botswana & the Best Botswana Lodges
A resounding African success story, Botswana is one of the world’s best safari destinations, if not the top wildlife safari destination. Botswana with its superb game lodges offers unrivalled wildlife safari experiences in its vast and untamed game reserves.
Why is Botswana a top safari destination?
Our tour guide, Simon, was simply fantastic. A great spotter of animals, he made it possible for us to see lions, elephants, cheetah, giraffes, zebras, baboon, buffalo, warthogs, eagles and vultures and numerous species of antelope from very close, as well as a black rhino and many other animals at a distance. He’s also extremely knowledgeable about African wildlife and communicated his huge enthusiasm for the animals.
— Peter Laurie from Barbados
The ideal African safari destination, Botswana, is located in sub-Saharan Africa and boasts some of Africa’s top game reserves, among them Chobe National Park, Moremi National Park and the Central Kalahari Game Reserve.
Lying within the Kalahari Basin Botswana offers a rich diversity of untamed landscapes ranging from semi-deserts, saltpans and dry savannahs to forests and the swamps of the famous Okavango Delta. The Okavango Delta region is renowned for its spectacular annual wildlife migration, when herds of wildebeest, zebra and other mammals relocate in search of water and stable food supplies. The Okavango Delta, known for its high plant and tree species diversity is a unique, permanent system of crystal clear waterways winding through reed and papyrus beds and opening onto tranquil lagoons fringed by wooded islands. The Okavango Delta, a geological formation formed by the Okavango River, as it flows into the Kalahari Desert, is a haven for a rich variety of bird species as well as numerous wildlife species.
The Kalahari Desert, falling largely within Botswana, is home to the largest remaining San (bushman) community and is considered to be the most extensive and oldest expanse of sand in the world.
Botswana enjoys a robust economy with high standards of health and education and a politically stable climate. This wilderness haven has a limited road network covering its vast spaces teeming with game, making it the ideal destination for a remote and authentic African safari experience. Travellers on safari in Botswana will find that Botswana has numerous excellent game lodges, most of which are situated in the prime wildlife safari areas.
Highlights of travel in Botswana:
- Rugged and exclusive wildlife destinations in an African country that is economically stable, yet not too developed to offer a remote and wild African safari experience
- High species diversity and big game (except rhino) in most wildlife safari areas
- The Chobe River area offers what is considered to be the best boat-based game viewing opportunities in the world
- Wildlife safaris to scenic, unspoilt wilderness areas in Africa
- Excellent game viewing and plenty of top quality safari lodges to choose from
- Friendly people of Botswana and a stable socio-political environment for hassle-free travelling
- Encountering the San culture, best known for its rock paintings and survival skills in harsh desert terrain
- Exploring the Okavango Delta waterways by Mokoro – traditional dugout canoes
Top safari destinations in Botswana:
- Chobe National Park in northwest Botswana
- Makgadikgadi pans in northern Botswana
- Savute channel (Linyanti Swamp, Mababe Depression and Savute Marsh)
- Moremi Game Reserve on the eastern side of the Okavango Delta
- Central Kalahari Game Reserve in the Kalahari Desert Basin